So the cold nights are drawing in and this means that we toast ourselves next to a wood fire every evening (sustainably sourced wood only of course). Consequently, everything we own and wear smells of wood smoke. Luckily, as odours go, this isn't so bad and it does a good job of masking a myriad of other not so pleasant aromas to which we've become accustomed on this trip.
Here's our top ten of dodgy smells:
10. Sun cream. Greasy and full on, although we have smelt less of the factor 40 recently!
9. Climb On. More grease. End of day hand moisturising ritual. Climb On, Dude.
8. Peanut Butter Clif Bars. Having lived on these high energy lunchtime snacks for 10 weeks, the smell is starting to get a bit nauseous.
7. Big Wall Bad Breath. Can get a bit stinky by day 3. Apparently toothbrushes are too heavy for the haul bag!
6. Fear. You know the next pitch will be tricky when your partner starts pumping out this odour!
5. Poo Tube. The chemicals in the wag bags somehow make the poo smell worse! Luckily, this odorous item has now been packed away.
4. Bivvy Ledge. Always stinks! (See Living on the Ledge)
3. Si's Climbing Shoes. I know I'm close to the belay when I catch a whiff of these - it's just amazing how I can still manage to hold on!
2. Unwashed Climbers. It's time for a shower when you walk past other tourists and they smell clean!
1. Eau de Van. When you open the van doors at the end of a warm day, the combined aroma of all of the above assails your nostrils! Pretty Whiffy - thank god for the wood smoke!